A reminder that Central Virginia Watercolor Guild is found online at www.CVWG.art.
CVWG Exhibit at The Center June 1 – July31
CVWG is pleased that 21 member-artists will exhibit their paintings on the upstairs gallery of the beautiful new The Center, 540 Belvedere Blvd., Charlottesville starting next week. Due to COVID, The Center is not having receptions at this time but feel free to visit The Center on weekdays, 8:30-4:00 during June and July.
Exhibiting in the downstairs gallery at the same time is the well – known Virginia artist, Fred Nichols. Bring a friend to see the art and have lunch or refreshments at the Greenberry’s inside the lobby. Masks are only required for those who have not been vaccinated.
Exhibiting artists include: Linda Abbey, Vivian Attermeyer, Carolyn Belt, Janice Creasy, Joy Cross, Anne Deane, Judi Ely, Mary Ann Friedman, Adella Langham, Phyllis Koch-Sheras, Donna Koutrakos, Robin Adair Kuzen, Jane Matthews, Deborah Prum, Carolyn Ratcliffe, Patricia Richmond, Chee Kludt Ricketts, Susan Crave Rosen, Dianna Scott-Auger, Julliette Swenson, and Linda Verhagen.
News from Your Board of Directors
Twelve of your Guild Directors met on Tuesday, May 25, to discuss a number of topics of interest to our Guild and our members. Some highlights:
- In-person Meetings– The location where CVWG normally holds our in-person meetings, the Church of Our Savior on Rio Rd, remains closed due to COVID. We have no insight as to when it may reopen. Our President, Donna Koutrakos, is looking for other venues at which we might safely start meeting once again. Stay tuned for more information.
- Painting Critique Session– A member-artist has specifically requested that we hold a painting critique where member-artists can get professional guidance and feedback. Donna is looking at The Center to see if enough members could safely meet there and will see what we might be able to arrange. Again, stay tuned.
- Donations– The Directors approved separate donations on behalf of our members to The Virginia Watercolor Society and to the 2021 Virginia Summer Residential Governor’s Schools (SRGS) for Visual Arts being hosted at Radford University.
More Workshop Resources for You
In her ongoing series to share insights and valuable knowledge of external workshops with the Guild, member-artist Karen Schwenzer has three new ideas. As we all wait for the Guild to be able to offer local workshops, click here to check out Karen’s suggestions on our Workshops page of our website.
Member-artist Linda Verhagen sent this resource for a local plein air workshop in early July:
Grace Episcopal Church in Keswick will have a morning of plein air painting, sketching and photography on July 3 from 9am-1pm. Artists of all level are invited to come and bring whatever you need including a picnic lunch. The public is invited to walk the grounds an interact with artists. Grace Church will provide a refrigerator, restrooms, water and views! Please RSVP to www.gracekeswick.org by June 18 if you intend to participate.
Grace Episcopal Church is located at 5607 Gordonsville Rd,, Keswick, VA 22947. Here is a link to their registration page.
CVWG’s Challenge! Show for May
Our May Challenge! featured the following 12 paintings from 10 member-artists at our Zoom show on Monday, May 24 all based on the chosen theme of “Raindrops“. The painting at the top of this post is “Fairy Floating in Rainbow Drops” by Phyllis Koch-Sheras and her granddaughter.
A reminder and preview that our June Challenge! is scheduled:
- The theme is “Birds of a Feather“;
- Send a photo of your creation along with title to CVWG’s Webmaster by the entry deadline of Friday, June 25;
- Join the “Challenge! by Zoom” meeting at 1:00 PM on Monday, June 28 where the works will be shared in full-screen and the artists will share their “stories”.
- All Guild members will get an invitation to the Challenge! by Zoom” meeting on the morning of the Zoom call. Friends and Followers of our Guild are welcome to show your painting and/or attend our Zoom meeting but you must send an email to our CVWG Webmaster to be included.
Please Share Your Activities!
We invite you to share any aspect of the artistic “you” with us…activities, muses, workshops, travel, etc. We are also always looking for ways to feature our member artists’ work and invite you to be featured in one of our periodic Featured Member Artist profiles. Simply contact the CVWG Webmaster.